If you've got a modest amount of professional experience and live in or are open to the idea of living in one of upstate New York's prettiest spots, Colgate University is hiring an Assistant Archivist.
< snip >
Position Summary< /snip >
Reporting to the Head of Special Collections and University Archivist, the Assistant Archivist accessions, arranges, describes and preserves the records of the university and other related collections. The Assistant Archivist also participates in records management activities for university records, including the management of electronic records. In collaboration with other members of the library’s Digital Commons team, she or he acquires content for the university’s institutional repository and creates or revises policies and submission procedures. The Assistant Archivist supervises the student workers and manages the department’s reading room. She or he provides reference services to members of the Colgate community and other researchers and manages reproduction requests. In addition to supporting the department’s general instructional and outreach programs, the Assistant Archivist works closely with the Head of Special Collections and University Archivist to support research being conducted in classes and for the university’s bicentennial celebrations.
- Master's Degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution with a focus in archival studies
- Successful demonstrable experience in archival processing
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of arrangement and description of archival collections and knowledge of archival best practices
- Working knowledge of current metadata and descriptive standards, including DACS and EAD
- Knowledge of preservation standards and best practices
- Strong organizational skills and written and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer and technical skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work a schedule which includes some evening, weekend, and holiday hours
- 1-2 years of professional archives experience
- Experience providing reference services in an archives or manuscripts repository
- Proficiency working with Archivists' Toolkit and/or collection management systems
- Experience working with MARC records
- Experience working with college or university archives records
- Experience with records management
- Knowledge of digital preservation best practices
- Proficiency working with Adobe Dreamweaver and Adobe Photoshop
- Proficiency working with digital content systems, such as ContentDM, Omeka, and bepress’ Digital Commons
- Ability to lift and shelve boxes weighing up to 40 pounds
If you're interested in this position, apply as soon as possible: review of applications will start on 13 April and will continue until the position is filled. A detailed listing of job duties is available here, and complete application instructions are available here.