The starting salary for this position is $53,339 and, at least according to the current salary schedule, the salary will gradually increase to $67,827 based on annual performance advances. These figures are established by a collective bargaining agreement and are non-negotiable; they may also change slightly following the next round of contract negotiations. In addition, the State of New York offers a comprehensive array of retirement, health, and other benefits.The New York State Archives is seeking to fill an Archives & Records Management Specialist (ARMS) 2 position within the Information Technology Services Unit. The Information Technology Services Unit has responsibility for the development, integration, and support of all New York State Archives information systems. Under the direction of an Archives and Records Management Specialist 3, duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate in the evaluation, implementation and integration of standards based public access tools for archival records, including an encoded archival description based finding aid catalog, digital Collections, and name index;
- Develop web content and features;
- Support the development of the State Archives electronic records program;
- Support the integration of records management systems with archival management systems;
- Advise on the technical implementation of professional standards; and
- Work with State Archives staff and vendors to identify and implement web based solutions.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Archives and Records Management Specialist 2.
§52.6 Transfer: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible to transfer via §52.6 of the Civil Service Law.Provisional Appointment: Candidates must have either 1) one year of permanent competitive or non-competitive 55b/c service as an Archives and Records Management Specialist 1 OR 2) a master's degree in history, government, business or public administration, political science, American studies, library/information science, or archival administration AND two years of professional experience in which the majority of duties involved one or more of the following:
- Analyzing or appraising records and information systems to develop recordkeeping and/or records retention plans for an institution, governmental body, or corporation;
- Providing education, training, grant-in-aid, or direct technical assistance services in records management and/or archives administration for an institution, governmental body, or corporation;
- Developing or implementing guidelines, standards, policies and procedures concerning records management and/or archives administration for an institution, governmental body, or corporation;
- Evaluating available information technology to support recordkeeping needs and requirements of an institution, governmental body, or corporation;
- Acquiring, controlling, preserving, making available, or promoting use of archival records, whether in electronic, paper, or other form for an institution, governmental body, or corporation.PERFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess the following qualifications:
- Participation in the implementation/maintenance of public access tools and/or records management systems.
- Familiarity with systems designed to support access to archival records, such as ARCHON, Archivist’s Toolkit, CollectiveAccess, XTF, etc.
- Participation in the implementation/maintenance of web content.
- Knowledge and understanding of the standards used to provide access to and manage archival records including EAD, EAC and TEI.
- Experience with core archival and records management practices including scheduling/appraisal; archival description and preservation; digital preservation and electronic records; references services.
- Background on/or knowledge of emerging trends and best practices related to information technology and architecture in archival settings.
- The ability to be adaptable, flexible and collaborative in a dynamic working environment.
The deadline for applying for this position is 20 October 2016. For more information and application instructions, consult the job posting.