Description of DutiesThe starting salary for this position is $34,501.44, and the State of Florida provides an array of benefits. The application deadline is 26 March 2015. For more information about this job and the application process, consult the position description and the State of Florida's Applicant Guide.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Formulates strategies for developing and maintaining a technical architecture for the Division's electronic records and documents programs, including hardware, software, appropriate backup procedures and automated methods for integrity checking.
- Identifies electronic records held by Florida government agencies, applies archival appraisal criteria to those records to identify electronic records of archival value, and reviews options and makes recommendations for accessing, data conversion, storage, preservation and access for electronic records appraised as archival.
- Conducts electronic records data conversion, migration, transfer, and/or other tasks and procedures necessary to ensure preservation and access to archival records and documents transferred to the Division.
- Develops filing arrangements and specialized finding aids, guides, indexes and descriptive materials for electronic public records and manuscript collections.
- Recommends to and informs Supervisor of processing needs and priorities for electronic manuscript and public records collections.
- Monitors electronic records management and archival electronic records standards, guidelines and best practices, and makes recommendations for incorporating those standards and practices into the Division's electronic records and documents programs.
- Monitors state-of-the-art techniques and practices for archival management.
- Maintains a high level of expertise through training courses, conferences, professional engagement and information exchange, reading, research and/or other appropriate means.
- Provides technical assistance to Florida government agencies regarding electronic records creation, maintenance, preservation, access and archival transfer, and regarding electronic archival resources and the preservation, management and use of records with extended or permanent retention.
- Assists in the utilization and maintenance of the Archives' automated archival information systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A master's degree in information technology systems, computer science, or library science with an information systems emphasis, archives management with an information systems emphasis, or a closely related field and two years of professional full time experience in information technology systems/computer science -- OR -- A bachelor's degree and four years of professional full time experience in information technology systems/computer science.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- One year of full time professional experience in a formally established archival program (municipal, county, state, or national historical society, university).
- Coursework or workshops in archives or records management outside of a completed degree or certification.
- One year of full time professional experience providing technical assistance to archives, libraries, or government agencies in long-term preservation of electronic records and/or documents.
- One year of full time professional experience coordinating programs for the transfer of electronic records and/or documents to a formally established archival or library program.
- One year of full time professional experience coordinating programs for electronic records data conversion, migration, transfer, and/or other tasks and procedures necessary to ensure preservation and access to electronic records and/or documents.
- Knowledge of general archival and records management concepts.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of hardware and software used for electronic document management systems, electronic imaging systems, and desktop applications (personal computers).
- Extensive knowledge of database management, systems analysis and system development concepts.
Thursday, March 12, 2015
Florida State Archives is hiring an Electronic Records Archivist
If you live or want to live in the Sunshine State, have substantial electronic records and information systems experience, and relish the thought of working with smart, dedicated people, you need to know that the Florida State Archives is hiring an Electronic Records Archivist (Archivist III):