About HBOIf you're interested in applying for this position, consult the position description for more information. (And if you take the job, by all means let me know when you find all the files relating to The Wire.)
It's Not TV. It's HBO. America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour premium television services — HBO and Cinemax — to nearly 40 million U.S. subscribers. International joint ventures bring branded services to more than 50 countries around the world, and HBO’s programming is sold into over 150 countries worldwide.
The HBO Archiving Group is charged with the long-term archiving and preservation of HBO’s program assets. The Group operates the HBO Materials Archive, an extensive, varied, and active archive of film, video, and audio elements that supports the network as well as HBO’s production departments by receiving editorial materials for both temporary and long-term storage.
The Director is responsible for overseeing a staff of specialists, both on and off-site, handling film, tape and digital assets on a daily basis as well as engaging in long-term strategic planning for the storage, migration and conservation of our analog and digital assets.
The Director will also participate in efforts to coordinate digital archiving and metadata strategies company-wide and set the agenda for the storage, preservation and migration of both physical and digital assets into the future.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Responsible for establishing company-wide archiving policy and practices.
- Supervise a staff of seventeen archivists on two coasts and prepare & implement budgets for storage and preservation needs of the archive.
- Work with internal departments and outside vendors to develop and standardize an archival database for search and retrieval. Oversee transition to new database in 2013.
- Develop strategies for digital archiving and the transition to a tapeless preservation workflow.
- Direct preservation and migration projects for analog assets.
- Oversee storage of assets at facilities in U.S and abroad.
- Track storage conditions and uphold best practices for packing, storage and retrieval of assets.
- Advanced degree in library science/film archiving is preferred.
- Minimum seven years archiving/preservation experience, three of which managing a large staff.
- Strong database skills and familiarity with metadata practices and standards. Knowledge of Xytech and other media asset management software required.
- Knowledge of conservation and preservation practices.
- An understanding of post-production practices and digital workflows.
- Must be detail-oriented with strong leadership, writing and organizational skills.
Thursday, May 31, 2012
HBO is searching for a Director of Archives and Asset Management
If you're a multimedia archivist who has worked with analog and born-digital materials, is accustomed to managing a large staff, and lives or would like to live in Santa Monica, California, HBO wants to hear from you.