Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Many people in the southeastern United States believe that eating black-eyed peas and greens on New Year's Day will bring good luck throughout the year. I'm from Ohio, where eating pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day is supposed to bring one luck, but I'm a vegetarian, so black-eyed peas -- in the form of Hoppin' John -- and collard greens sounded much more appealing; however, most Southerners would add some sort of pork product to both the beans and the greens. I was pleased with the way both dishes turned out, and the friend with whom I ate dinner had seconds and took some food home. As you can see, one of my cats had some greens as well -- I guess she's going to have a lucky 2011.

Wherever you are and whatever lucky food you're eating, I wish you all the best for 2011.

No comments: