Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The week before SAA . . .

. . . is always hectic, and as a result there probably won't be a lot of activity around here until the 2010 joint annual meeting of the Council of State Archivists, the National Association of Government Archivists and Records Administrators, and the Society of American Archivists gets underway next week. I'm in the throes of readying my slides, battening down the hatches at the office, trying to figure out what to pack, and beating back the domestic clutter so my housesitting friend won't have to live amidst my mishegas.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the latest group of photos that my awesome colleagues at the New York State Archives have posted on Flickr. All of them are of the city of Saratoga Springs, which has a storied history and a surplus of loveliness. I'm particularly fond of this image of the elegant State Drink Hall (i.e., mineral water bar), which was taken in August 1908 (i.e., 102 years ago). Maybe it's just me, but the State Drink Hall looks like an upscale blend of Rick's Café Américain, Café du Monde, and the café that appears 18 seconds into this Duran Duran video.

No comments: