Wednesday, February 10, 2010

SAA is meeting in New Orleans in 2013!

Lower Pontalba Building and Café du Monde, corner of Decatur and St. Ann Streets, New Orleans, Lousiana, 17 August 2005.

I noted the other day that I really wanted to see the Society of American Archivists (SAA) meet again in New Orleans sometime soon, and it turns out that SAA will indeed return to the Hilton New Orleans Riverside (which I really liked) on 4-11 August 2013.

I discovered this piece of good news in the January/February 2010 issue of Archival Outlook, in which Nancy Beaumont succinctly outlines the many, many considerations that SAA must take into account when selecting annual meeting sites. The print copy of this issue showed up at my office earlier today, so the SAA members among you who haven't yet received it should get it soon (you can also access the e-version online).

I'm sure that a few SAA members will grumble about the heat and humidity that pervades New Orleans in August, but I'm overjoyed that we'll be going back. From my point of view, at least, the prospect of seeing over a thousand archivists descend upon New Orleans makes missing Lombardi Gras (YEA, SAINTS !!!) almost bearable.

1 comment:

ADR said...

I'm actually sitting in the Hilton NoLa Riverside (for another conference) right now writing this comment. Glad to hear that SAA is coming back. It's still a great hotel in a fabulous location.